TAPS
Screaming Eagles 101
2006-09-18 13:40:10 UTC
Dear,

I organized and performed a Ceremony for 2 WW vets at Bastogne (Belgium -
Bulge Area) last Saturday.
I used the chronology of what we see here at Memorial Day, which means also
playing the National Anthem and before that the TAPS.
First we performed a 21 gun salute with 2 mortars.

Can anyone explain what 'Taps' is and if I can find a link to the official
music online, I'd like also a link to the official music
of the Star Spangled Banner,which could be used at a Ceremony ?

Thanks for your help.
--
Filip
http://www.ww2airborne.net/
ray o'hara
2006-09-18 14:26:10 UTC
Post by Screaming Eagles 101
Dear,
I organized and performed a Ceremony for 2 WW vets at Bastogne (Belgium -
Bulge Area) last Saturday.
I used the chronology of what we see here at Memorial Day, which means also
playing the National Anthem and before that the TAPS.
First we performed a 21 gun salute with 2 mortars.
Can anyone explain what 'Taps' is and if I can find a link to the official
music online, I'd like also a link to the official music
of the Star Spangled Banner,which could be used at a Ceremony ?
Thanks for your help.
taps is a bugle call for lights out. it is played at the end of the day and
at military funerals as tribute to the dead.
the current taps was writtrn by brigadier general daniel butterfield of the
5th corps of the army of the potomac during the siege of williamsburg in the
peninsular campaign in 1862.
dan was a "political" general he was a brigade commander at the time he
wrote it. he rose to command the 5th corps and later cheif of staff of the
army of the potomac during the battles of chancellorsville and gettysburg.

the name taps is a generic name for any such call. it comes from taptoo.
the concept of a taps goes back to roman times.
ray o'hara
2006-09-18 14:32:22 UTC
Post by Screaming Eagles 101
Dear,
I organized and performed a Ceremony for 2 WW vets at Bastogne (Belgium -
Bulge Area) last Saturday.
I used the chronology of what we see here at Memorial Day, which means also
playing the National Anthem and before that the TAPS.
First we performed a 21 gun salute with 2 mortars.
Can anyone explain what 'Taps' is and if I can find a link to the official
music online, I'd like also a link to the official music
of the Star Spangled Banner,which could be used at a Ceremony ?
Thanks for your help.
here is link to taps music
http://www.tapsbugler.com/

star spangled banner
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/spangle.htm
Screaming Eagles 101
2006-09-19 10:34:15 UTC
Post by ray o'hara
Post by Screaming Eagles 101
Dear,
I organized and performed a Ceremony for 2 WW vets at Bastogne (Belgium -
Bulge Area) last Saturday.
I used the chronology of what we see here at Memorial Day, which means
also
Post by Screaming Eagles 101
playing the National Anthem and before that the TAPS.
First we performed a 21 gun salute with 2 mortars.
Can anyone explain what 'Taps' is and if I can find a link to the official
music online, I'd like also a link to the official music
of the Star Spangled Banner,which could be used at a Ceremony ?
Thanks for your help.
here is link to taps music
http://www.tapsbugler.com/
star spangled banner
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/spangle.htm
Thanks for the links. The Taps soundfile is terrific !!
Regarding the SSB I was more looking for a MP3 file (band playing) instead
of a Midi file if possible, thanks.
Duke of URL
2006-09-24 11:20:29 UTC
Post by ray o'hara
[...]
There are several great websites with large libraries of military/patriotic
music in MP3 format. Rather than typing them all in here, I will just
suggest you google for "American military music MP3" and "American patriotic
music MP3".
--
Moses Lambert PO1(SW) USN(ret)
Prothonotary Wibbler, Paleoconservative, Surface Warrior Squid,
ankle-biters
Screaming Eagles 101
2006-09-25 06:49:42 UTC
Post by ray o'hara
[...]